Most of the solar panels on the market today for residential solar energy systems can fit into three categories: monocrystalline solar panels, polycrystalline solar panels, and thin film solar panels.
The solar cells that make up the panel determine which type it is. Each type of solar cell has different characteristics, thus making certain panels better suited for different situations.
We’ve created a complete guide to monocrystalline, polycrystalline, and thin film solar panels to help you decide which type is right for your home.
- There are three different types of solar panels: monocrystalline, polycrystalline, and thin film.
- Monocrystalline solar panels are highly efficient and have a sleek design, but come at a higher price point than other solar panels.
- Polycrystalline solar panels are cheaper than monocrystalline panels, however, they are less efficient and aren’t as aesthetically pleasing.
- Thin film solar panels are the cheapest, but have the lowest efficiency rating and require a lot of space to meet your energy needs.
- The brand of solar panels and the solar installer you choose is far more important than which type of solar panel you install.